Zapata is considered by ornithologists as the region with the greatest diversity of birds in Cuba, with more than 170 reported species, among them 18 Cuban endemic species and some local such as the Gallinuela de Santo Tomas and Ferminias, with extremely restricted habitats. The area is also the preferred spot for numerous terrestrial and marine migratory birds. In pursuit of our wish to provide more special interest opportunities we are offering this unique excursion, which you can combine with your other travel arrangements in Cuba.
- Explore the area with more endemic birds in Cuba.
- 2 days of bird watching excursions.
- Driver/Guide on disposal for 4 days.
- 3 nights in a natural environment.
Other birdwatching areas to be visited in Zapata:
- Soplillar: mainly forest birds (2 hours trail)
- Bermejas: mainly forest and rice birds (3 hours trail)
- Enigma de la Roca: mainly forest and there are also small lakes for swimming (2 hours trail)
- Capdevilla (2 hours) and Santo Tomas (5 hours) are very specific trails because those are the habitats of endemic species such as La Ferminia (Zapata Wren), Gallinuela de Santo Tomas (Zapata Rail) and Cabrerito de la Cienaga (Zapata Sparrow).
Transfer from Havana to Zapata with your driver/guide. Check in at your accommodation and explore the area with your guide including a visit to “Casa del Zunzuncito” (Bee Hummingbird’s House) where a family takes care of some of these birds and you can see how the birds come to be feed from persons’ hands. Relax at the beach. Overnight at 4* hotel Playa Larga.
Breakfast. Early morning transfer to Las Salinas’ bird watching area, where a specialist local Ornithologist will join you during the 3 hours excursion. There are approximately 150 different bird species in this trail. Packed Lunch included. Transfer back to the hotel. Your driver/guide will be on disposal. Overnight at hotel.
Breakfast. Early morning transfer to Hatiguanico bird watching area for a 3 hours trail where you will mainly watch sea birds. Specialist local Ornithologist and packed Lunch included. Transfer back to the hotel. Your driver/guide will be on disposal. Overnight at hotel.
Breakfast. Free day for leisure or we could also arrange another birdwatching trail (not included) according to your time and preferences. Check-out of hotel and continue your travel in Cuba.