West and Central Birdwatching
This itinerary combines the magic of watching endemic birds at their natural environment with exploring some of the most iconic cities in Cuba and relaxing at the beach.
- Stay and explore: Havana, Las Terrazas, Zapata, Trinidad and Cayo Santa Maria.
- Other cities visited: Soroa, Cienfuegos and Santa Clara.
- Bird watching excursions in Las Terrazas, Topes de Collantes and 2 different areas in Zapata Peninsula.
- Driver/Guide on disposal.
Other birdwatching areas to be visited in Zapata:
- Soplillar: mainly forest birds (2 hours trail)
- Bermejas: mainly forest and rice birds (3 hours trail)
- Enigma de la Roca: mainly forest and there are also small lakes for swimming (2 hours trail)
- Capdevilla (2 hours) and Santo Tomas (5 hours) are very specific trails because those are the habitats of endemic species such as La Ferminia (Zapata Wren), Gallinuela de Santo Tomas (Zapata Rail) and Cabrerito de la Cienaga (Zapata Sparrow).
Transfer from Havana International Airport to your accommodation in Havana. Depending on your arrival time you may be able to explore the city with your guide in a walking tour or just have dinner and rest.
Breakfast at hotel and private transfer with your driver/guide to Soroa. Explore the area and have lunch in a local restaurant. Then continue to Las Terrazas. Check in at hotel.
Breakfast at hotel. Start early this morning your 3 hours birdwatching trail with local specialized guide. You may be able to watch approx. 50 birds’ species, some of them endemic species. Lunch included. Your driver/guide will be on disposal this afternoon and evening. You may like to swim in San Juan river, try the Zip-Line or learn more about the Community declared reserve of biosphere by UNESCO.
Breakfast. Transfer to Zapata with your driver/guide. Check in at your accommodation and explore the area with your guide including a visit to “Casa del Zunzuncito” (Bee Hummingbird’s House) where a family takes care of some of these birds and you can see how the birds come to be feed from persons’ hands. Relax at the beach.
Breakfast. Early morning transfer to Las Salinas’ bird watching area, where a specialist local Ornithologist will join you during the 3 hours excursion. There are approximately 150 different bird species in this trail. Packed Lunch included. Transfer back to the hotel. Your driver/guide will be on disposal.
Breakfast. Early morning transfer to Hatiguanico bird watching area for a 3 hours trail where you will mainly watch sea birds. Specialist local Ornithologist and packed Lunch included. Transfer back to the hotel. Your driver/guide will be on disposal.
Breakfast. Transfer to Trinidad with your driver/guide. Stop on route in Cienfuegos to learn about the city, have lunch in a local restaurant and continue to Trinidad. Check in at your accommodation and explore Trinidad with your driver/guide.
Breakfast. Tour to Vegas Grandes in Topes de Collantes with a specialized guide for an approximately 5 hours excursion. Lunch included in a mountain local restaurant. Transfer back to Trinidad. Free night with your driver/guide on disposal.
Breakfast. Transfer with your driver/guide to Cayo Santa Maria via Santa Clara. Check in at your all inclusive resort accommodation. End of driver/guide services. Relax at the beach.
Free day in Cayo Santa Maria.
Free day in Cayo Santa Maria.
Check-out. Transfer to the Airport for outbound flight.